As I write these words to you, staff, delegates, and visitors from the Iowa Conference are packing their bags or already on their way to the 30th General Synod of the United Church of Christ, meeting in Cleveland June 26-30. The theme of our 30th General Synod is “Unexpected Places”, rising from the story of Jacob’s dream at Bethel found in the 28th chapter of Genesis and especially the 16th verse: “Then Jacob woke from his sleep and said, ‘Surely the LORD is in this place-and I did not know it!’”
In your daily time with Scripture these days, I invite you to prayerfully read and re-read and linger in Genesis 28:10-22. Imagine the places in your life and the life of your congregation where the LORD has been without your knowing. Remember those wondrous moments in your life and in the life of your congregation when you’ve felt as if you were waking from a dream as you recognized the presence and leading of God. Yearn prayerfully to be led to yet more unexpected places and be surprised there by our God who still speaks.
If you’re neither packing nor on your way to Cleveland, may I ask you to travel order clonazepam canada with us in prayer? In your daily prayers and in your congregation’s prayers on Sunday morning, please raise the 30th General Synod of the United Church of Christ:
- For the well-being of all participants as they travel and through five intense days and nights of discernment, deliberation, learning, connecting, worship and witness.
- For our General Synod preachers and presenters, that they blessed with clear hearts and strong voices to serve as deep vessels of the Holy Spirit.
- For John Dorhauer, our candidate for General Minister and President of the United Church of Christ, that he may be blessed with all needed gifts to lead the United Church of Christ toward the voice of God calling from places we have yet to imagine.
- For the witness of our 30th General Synod, that within the words of many faithful followers of Jesus, some echo of holy Word might be heard.
- For the reach of our 30th General Synod, that the labor of bold followers of Jesus might stretch the world round with gifts of divine healing, justice, and peace.
Grateful to God, who shows up and surprises in places beyond our imagining,
Jonna Jensen, Associate Conference Minister