The Disaster Response Coordinator is the representative of the UCC’s National Disaster Ministries (NDM) in the Conference AND represents the congregations of the Conference with NDM. Because volunteers are almost always needed after a disaster event, the coordinator also maintains a close relationship with the UCC’s Volunteer Ministries.
The coordinators responsibilities include:
- Communicating with Conference staff when a disaster event occurs in the Conference.
- Coordinate with Conference staff on responding to disaster events where a local church is damaged and/or members impacted.
- Assist in obtaining a grant when a church building is damaged and/or members impacted.
- Assist local churches in being prepared in the case of a disaster event AND helping its members to be prepared. For example, know your Emergency Management Administrator (EMA).
- Help local congregations that are looking for mission/volunteer opportunities.
- Encourage local churches to participate in local Long Term Recovery Committees (LTRCs) or local Community Organizations Active in Disaster (COADs).
- Represent the Conference on the State Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD). In Iowa the State VOAD is called the Iowa Disaster Human Resource Council (IDHRC).
Our contact: Rev Brice Hughes